Let's say you are the President/Prime Minister/What-have-you of a major world power. Your staff have just informed you of a troubling development: psychic abilities are not only theoretically possible but present in an incredibly small fraction of the world's population. While most of the abilities tested have amounted to relatively minor telepathy and weak psychokinesis, your scientists warn that the only barrier to mind control is the power of the user. Even more concerning is the fact that no current genetic test can determine a psychic from a non-psychic.
As the leader of a world power, you understand the vast amount of danger any sort of psychic could pose to your regime. A telepath could easily leak major military secrets to foreign adversaries, and a single person with the ability to implant suggestions in the minds of others could effectively coup the government without anyone ever noticing the change. With this concern in mind, and with the data from a few tests conducted by your scientists, you need to determine some way to ensure your administration isn't compromised by those with abilities. While it's secondary to protecting yourself, ensuring your administrative changes don't tip the public off to the discovery of psychics is also a must.
So far, you know a few things about psychics:
- Psychics cannot use their abilities on someone they aren't aware is there. If they can place a person in space, however, they can use their powers on them. For example, a psychic could read someone's mind if they knew they were in the next room over.
- Telepaths can scan minds almost instantly, but it's estimated those with the ability to actually control minds take about thirty seconds to do so.
- Psychics show no outward signs of using their abilities.
- Psychics cannot use their abilities beyond a hundred meter range.
- No known material can block psychic abilities.
- Taking certain drugs can inhibit the brain to the point where it's difficult to read, but this has the added effect of inhibiting critical thinking, so likely isn't a permanent solution.
- Telepaths can usually only read surface thoughts, and cannot pry into memories for the most part.
- Mind-Controllers (your scientists still lack a catchy name for this group) can implant suggestions in many people simultaneously.
- Mind-Controllers can only implant vague suggestions (ex. vote X on ballot B), and as such much of the particulars are left up to the victim's digression
- No outward signs exist of mind control.
- A victim cannot do things that directly oppose their self-interest (eg. kill a loved one). Most things that do not directly harm themselves or one they care about are acceptable, though.
- A victim of mind control will insist the implanted ideas are their own.
With this in mind, how do you redesign your security structures to preserve your brain from the insidious machinations of the psychics?