You might have seen me ask a few questions the last few days. Basically, I'm just looking for advice on how plausible this (very early prototype) map might be. Disclaimer: I unfortunately know rather little when it comes to map-making, so please feel free to rip it to shreds. That being said, I'm not going for pain-staking realism, but as much as possible would be good. I am completely fine with moving things around, changing landforms, altering the very nature of the planet, etc.
To give a brief summary:
- The middle, teal area ie Zhin Provinces are supposed to be mostly temperate/warm-temperature zones.
- The yellow Talchian Empire is supposed to be more mountainous and cold near the top but more livable near the the area where it meets the purple kingdom. Think almost Canada-like, though perhaps not quite so cold near the top. The triangular shapes in the brown area are mountains.
- The purple Dao'umbara kingdom is very much based on the middle-east in terms of climate, but more specifically Egypt for the most part. Desert lands and all that.
- The green Tears of the Valaka are a bunch of islands that are mostly environmental anomalies due to them having power over the elements. So some are tropical, others are volcanic islands, and others near the bottom are far colder.
- The blue Nirnossi Republic is temperate, almost Mediterranean in terms of climate for the most part, though there are arid areas further down.
- The red Vlyasundari Holdings are very similar to the Slavic countries, but I suppose more specifically to Russia itself. As such, it has a similar climate to the Talchian Empire ie Yellow kingdom. The white part is northern barbarians - nothing to worry about for the moment - while the dark green parts around the map are sort of 'Here-Be-Dragons / Unconquered territory due to odd temporal disturbances.'
Some other information about this world, though this stuff is all up in the air right now:
- There may be twin moons in this world, though one can be larger than the other. I'm not entirely sure how this would affect the way the world should have evolved except for their effect on tidal forces.
- The two large continents were once, thousands of years ago, attached together both above and below the Zhin Provinces, to essentially put the teal kingdom / Zhin in the middle of a sort of in-land sea.
- The limits of this program are annoying, but basically the poles start to the North and South, same as a regular map - I'd say the North outside of the visible part of this map, while the South pole starts a considerable distance more away, with a large open area between the green and purple kingdoms and said pole. The equator cuts through the world a little lower than the Zhin Provinces, and I suppose the tropics are around that area as well. Come to think of it, that would likely mean that Zhin = tropical environment...
I can already see specific errors I'll need to correct, such as the climate disparity between the desert kingdom and the Mediterranean kingdom, probably issues with land-forms not being realistically designed or spread out enough, etc - I actually did want to split all of the continents apart more, but this Fantasy Map Creator doesn't allow for that.
I also did not use Plate Tectonics to plan this out. I might redo it with them in mind.