In a Galaxy where there are numerous Earth Like worlds, and FTL Travel is possible but only by a small number of species, possibly only by Humans, perhaps they just happened to get there first. In a similar way to Star Trek, where large FTL ships go forth and look for habitable worlds, they regularly come across intelligent life, in various stages of technological evolution
For argument, lets say the ships have whatever Stealth is required that they can observe these planets and not be noticed. I need a way to classify these species (not in a racist way) based on their technology.
I feel I need more fine tuning then the Kardashev Scale Offers. I can name the scale and have it be 1-100 or however many levels I choose, with level x being the level at which my ship would make contact with the species below, and anything before that being worthwhile research on early development of an intelligent species. my Humans are at Level 10.
- Pre-Primitive (not able to use tools of any type)
- Primitive stone tools, basically Stone Age)
- Able to use surface metal deposits to make tools
- Regular use of Metal Tools including mining, however not an industrial Society
- Industrial Society, basically after the Industrial Revolution
- Internal combustion Engine
- Nuclear Capable
- Capable of Limited Interplanetary travel and Satellite positioning (Current Modern Day Level)
- Capable of transit between planets within own Star System, but not inter system
- Capable of interstellar Travel
- Capable of Inter Galactic Travel
The Question: I need to know what technological breakthroughs can mark the transition from one stage to another that i'm currently missing in the way that Pre-nuclear and post nuclear does.
I know that several other scales exist similar to the Kardeshev Scale like Information mastery by Carl Sagan, which deals with how much, but all of them are based around the way a civilisation uses power or information, Carl Sagan's comes close to what I want but doesn't quite fit the bill. also a lot of these don't incorporate the more primitive species that my Humans might want to research.
I'm also considering a Morality Level (from a human perspective obviously), along with another for how widespread they are so the scientists would visit a planet because they want to study the Bob species which is rated as something like B-5-T, First being how widespread/numerous the species is, second being Tech Level and third being Morality (or something better as the name)
Some levels such as abolishing Slavery would come under the Morality Scale as they aren't based on Tech/tools.