Ok this is 2 questions but they are so closely related I'm sure it's OK
- The world is geographically similar to Earth.
- The kingdom has the same climate as Germany.
- The technology is High medieval (1200)
- The capital town of a kingdom is going to be one of two places
- On a large river with only 2 easy ways to access it from land however the limited access ends very quickly (so this won't limit transport too much).
- On the coast with unlimited ways to access it from the ground.
- The river in 1 can be quite short if needed and is connected to the same sea as 2
I'm wondering how debilitating to trade needing to travel up and down a river to the capital would be, I know real life examples exist but these often has myriad land connections.
If I just need to add more land connections please say.
These are my questions:
- How likely is it that a large kingdom (similar to HRE at the time) would place its capital town/city in location 1?
- If not what would be the best way to defend town 2 and the palace? (I'm thinking big walls, huge moat and palace on a coastal island)