Someone has developed a device that is capable of altering matter up to 100 meters away, only using thoughts. This is very powerful since someone with this device would be capable to, for example, turn a bullet into something harmless (like polystyrene or just air for example). He could also turn cloth into kevlar or something else to gain armor at will. I am more interested in the altering weapons and armor aspect of this. Creating weapons out of thin air would be cool, but it does not interest me since potential users are already armed.
When I talk about altering matter, I'm talking about changing state, changing molecules or even atomic/nuclear reactions (changing an element into another).
In my story, the person possessing this device is very honor-bound and does not alter matter against worthy opponents. However, if a person with no limits would get his hands on this device, he would be very powerful, too powerful.
I was thinking about linking the device to its original owner so that nobody can abuse it, but I'm looking for more limitations.
I am not looking for a reality check on the technology.
Note about reflexes:
The user can focus on changing a projectile before it has entered the 100m range of the device, neutralizing the projectile as soon as it gets in range. The user is still vulnerable to surprise attacks however.
Good limitations found so far:
- Using this requires a lot of focus, which is really tiring on the long run. Lack of focus create inconsistent/undesirable results.
- To focus enough to be able to use this device requires preparation, either through mastering meditation/be able to focus on one thing only, or through neural enhancement (other auxiliary devices)
- To convert matter, energy has to be used and/or stored somewhere, requiring a more complex system and dangers/instability occurring at high level of energy. Energy might affect the health of the user if not supported by auxiliary devices.
- Possible stability issues in the reaction if the user does not focus enough, potentially creating a big explosion and most likely kill the user and everything around.
- Overheating issue due to some energy being lost as heat