I’m writing a Splatoon fanfic, and I was hoping to make it a bit more science-based than the minuscule information we’re provided in-game.
The two primary features of Inklings are their ability to shoot ink and refill by diving into their ink, as well as their ability to switch between squid and kid. For the former, we are given much more information:
- Instead of a heart pumping blood like us humans, Inklings’ hearts pump ink.
- Somehow some of this ink can be transferred into a pack strapped to their back, which powers a plethora of splatting weapons.
- By submerging themselves in ink, the Inklings can refill their tanks. This seems to work through something like diffusion.
The problem comes with the kid-squid transformation. Somehow they can switch near-instantly between a smallish squid-like form and the normal-sized humanoid form. In squid form, they are able to swim quickly in their own color of ink, move through metal grates, and fly to a different place on the map. Their clothing and weaponry are also preserved during transformations: they don’t wear them while they’re a squid but do while they’re a kid. The games strongly imply that there’s no magic in this universe, so handwavium shapeshifting isn’t an option.
The last feature is that when killed, their body explodes into ink, and their “spirit” returns to their team’s spawn point, where a replica of their original body is recreated, and their spirit is placed into that body.
The questions I have are:
- How would you go about designing a creature that can transform between a squid with these properties to a kid with these properties?
- How would a squid be able to do things like moving through metal grates and launch itself in a parabolic arc across the map?