When I say medieval it’s more like a fallen world that went barbaric really quickly. Firearms and combustible fuels have been commonplace so society is still advanced in a way, but is more tribal/feudal in nature. There are a few advanced nations, but they are at war almost every five seconds with the more... uncivilized groups around them.
One of the nations has an armed order called the Iron Guard. They wear really heavy iron armor to prevent getting shot by said firearms, but they can’t move very well... almost at all.
The movement part is fine because they only fight defensively (they hide behind high walls/high ground, rocks and or small children) and shoot with their guns from a safe distance away.
There is however a catch: the tribal barbarians that they fight have a bit of a fire bug and love setting fire to said high walls/high ground, rocks and or small children with their crude flamethrowers and fire bombs; to them the Iron Guard is just soon to be roasted meat in a can.
The fuel that they use is like petrol but a bit more sticky it burns at 247–280 °C; the flamethrowers are a bit like bellows that spit oil out of a long pipe a few feet ahead on there target then have a open touch/flint igniter that lights the fuel (far from safe). the fire bombs are flammable paste that you mix together with gun powder they use Molotov cocktails as well. the Iron Guard cant use shields because they are sharp shooters and a shield would hinder them.
So I did a bit a research (fun fact iron doesn’t protect you from fire that much) and I did come up with a couple ideas:
Leather (has a lower burn rate then a lot of materials and is easy to come by, well sort off)
Asbestos (is very fire resistant but maybe too advanced for any of the nations to build... and it kills you slowly)
The Question is this: What Amour Designs and Materials do I use to not turn my Iron Guard into Crispy Critters
- The amour has to stand being totally engulfed with flame for at-least a half a minute (time to kill the attacker and move/put out the flame)
- The materials that you use will have to go underneath the iron plating; only a coating can go over the iron (can’t have them lose their name, can we?)
- The materials you use can’t be out of time period so no future tech or modern designs only medieval
- Can’t be anything too rare or hard to mass produce
- You can use combos or use mutable designs in your answers
To the people that will point out that if they have firearms and a fuel source why are they medieval or why can’t I use modem designs when they are ruining around with flamethrowers (you know who you are)
- I will just say that there are people that keep them at a low tech level but want them to be combat effective
- The fuel like source is like a gift of sorts they are not the ones making it.
As always if you want any more detail don't hesitate to ask.