After a massive explosion ravages Sydney and kills 2.1 million people, a multinational black-ops unit called S.W.O.R.D (an expy of the SCP Foundation and Blackwatch is tasked with maintaining peace and order, with the aid of the JDSF, USMC, NZDF, UNPF and RKA (when in reality, S.W.O.R.D's searching for a rogue member of their inner circle, who was sighted in the blast's aftermath). S.W.O.R.D have wasted no time in sealing off Sydney from the outside world by establishing a no-fly zone over the city, blockading Sydney's coast with a large-scale fleet and constructing a massive wall stretching from Nowra to Gosford, inducing an internet blackout and tapping into other people's phone calls.
While S.W.O.R.D and co have succeeded in restoring order and allowing unhindered access to humanitarian aid, their only form of opposition is the Degenerates: humans that have been parasitized by a gene-altering pentastomid and styled themselves after the Scythians. The Degenerates have constantly proven themselves to be a thorn in S.W.O.R.D's side by using guerrilla, mounted and asymmetrical warfare tactics along with their habit of abducting civilians and military personnel in order to create new Degenerates or use them as sustenance.To make matters worse, the Degenerate's "king", Idanthyrsus is an "Ascended", a sentient being that can draw upon an energy source called the Nexus (à la the Force) to enhance his physical abilities as a byproduct by having his soul bound to an incredibly powerful and ancient weapon referred to as a Divine Tool.
An Ascended has 3 - 4 primary abilities that embody their most dominant personality traits. One of Idanthyrsus' abilities is the power to activate a person's connection to the Nexus via psychical contact and turn them into a "Pseudo-Ascended". All of the human-born Degenerates are Pseudo-Ascended who have had their connections to the Nexus activated after being turned into Degenerates with one power (ranging from invisibility to fragokinesis and the ability to amplify their physical prowess or strengthen their weapons for short periods of time.
In order to level the playing field, S.W.O.R.D has tasked their prestigious Perioikoi Branch (which cooperates with various military research agencies to develop advanced military technologies) a fully autonomous humanoid combat robot capable of engaging a Pseudo-Ascended Degenerate in long range and close quarters combat code-named "Project Atalanta". Rather than outright replacing S.W.O.R.D's soldiers on the battlefield, Project Atalanta is designed to serve as a highly agile and incredibly strong support unit capable of operating in urban environments and the Australian wilderness while coming up with complex strategies on the fly. It just so happens that you are one of the many Perioikoi assigned to Project Atalanta and have been given a dossier detailing the strengths and weakness of the 3 subspecies that human-born Degenerates are divided into.
Here is a brief outline of each subspecies and their commonly shared traits:
COMMONLY SHARED TRAITS
Locomotion via bipedalism but will resort to knuckle-walking when carrying a human in their jaws
Large forward-facing and light-sensitive eyes covered with tapetum lucidum that allow for a nocturnal lifestyle
An arthropodal, dual-layered carapace capable of resisting small caliber gunfire and physical trauma
Large robust skulls with strong gorilla-like jaws and venomous interlocking canines
A healing factor that allows a Degenerate to draw upon the excess biomass in their body to heal wounds like internal bleeding and lost limbs within seconds
When the process is complete, said Degenerate develops a hunger of varying intensity depending on how much biomass was used during regeneration
If too much biomass is depleted, the Degenerate will enter a hyper aggressive mindset that forces them to consume prey in order to replace expended biomass
(Just remove the small pair of arms and spider abdomen thing, while giving it a shorter humanoid limb structure, anthropoid torso, enlarging the eyes and replacing it's mandibles with Gorilla-esque jaws. You'll get a very good idea of what Scythi look like)
SCYTHES (FALHUMANUS SAGITTARIUS)
- Height: 1.8 meters | 6 feet tall
- Weight: 72.5 kilograms | 160 pounds
- Combat Roles: Snipers, grenadiers and mounted riflemen
- Favored Armaments: Sniper rifles, assault rifles, rocket launchers, anti-materiel rifles, grenade launchers, pistols, revolvers, grenade spears, acinaci, sagaris, maces and makeshift shields (including Peltarion, Gerron, Simferopol, Pazyryk, Solokha and Celtic-types)
- The least commonly encountered of all Degenerates due to their methodical approach to combat and lackluster durability
- Short, stocky limbs ending in five talon-like digits allow Scythi to switch from a bipedal to quadrupedal stance
Can be distinguished from other human-born Degenerates by their multiple forward-facing eyes, which Gelonians and Agathyrsi lack
- The greatly enlarged eyes of Scythi are densely packed in a row at the front of the skull consisting of two large principal eyes and two smaller lateral eyes, like those of Jumping Spiders
- A Scythi’s lateral eyes sense the motion of moving objects while the principal eyes allow for sophisticated depth perception to accurately determine the distances between objects -Tests and intensive studies conducted on the eyes of Scythi concluded that Scythi are potentially able to visualize and follow a mobile target from a distance of 6 kilometers (or even further by using the Nexus to improve their already impressive vision)
GELONUS (FALHUMANUS TETRABRACHIUS)
- Height: 2.1 meters | 7 feet tall
- Weight: 154 kilograms | 339 pounds
- Combat Roles: Scouts, light infantry and light cavalry
Favored Armaments: Shotguns, assault rifles, sub-machine guns, light machine guns, pistols, revolvers, grenade spears, maces, acinaci, sagaris, chekans and makeshift shields (including Peltarion, Gerron, Simferopol, Pazyryk and Solokha-types)
Skeletons are hollow and lightly built, making them faster and more agile than their contemporaries
Highly developed legs and arms allow Gelonians to run at speeds of 90 mph on two legs and 120 mph on all six limbs (or even faster when tapping into the Nexus)
AGATHYRSUS (FALHUMANUS CLAVAPUGNUS)
Height: 3.0 meters | 10 feet tall
Weight: 300 kilograms | 663 pounds
Combat Roles: Shock troops, cavalry and cataphracti
Favored Armaments: Light machine guns, rocket launchers, flamethrowers, assault rifles, grenade launchers, shotguns, modified heavy machine guns, modified automatic grenade launchers, grenade spears, maces, contus, acinaci, sagari, klevets, chekans and makeshift shields (including Gerron, Simferopol and Celtic-types)
The most commonly encountered and deadliest of all human-spawned Degenerates
Legs are extremely broad and columnar with flat tree-trunk like feet, only allowing Agathyrsi to sprint over short distances
- Specimens attaining heights of 5.4 meters (18 feet) have also been reported to lift M1 Abrams high over their heads with some degree of difficulty
Massive club-like fists and bony knuckles reinforced with gristle allow them to deliver bone-shattering punches without harming themselves
How would you design Project Atalanta to effectively engage and slay these creatures?