My magic system is based on science. “Nothing can be done with magic that a scientist couldn’t eventually accomplish. Casting a spell is just using the Will to manipulate atoms and energies within the rules of science to create some effect.” As such conservation of energy is in play and so creating something from nothing is impossible without converting energy into mass or reverse.
So I have two questions on how to make spells:
In this magic system, how can a spell caster create a shield to stop kinetic energy (specifically bullets but hopefully whatever process stops bullets could work for slower/heavier impacts).
- The handwavium answer I have for this to simply steal the kinetic energy of the object since my magic system allows for the direct manipulation of any form of energy.
- That has problems though. Firstly, the caster now has all this kinetic energy, something has to be done with it. Secondly, I don’t understand kinetic energy well enough to figure out how that complicates the story. (If someone could give me some insight as to how stealing kinetic energy might complicate the story rather than offering an alternative answer, I'll take that gladly).
With this system and the rule listed below, how can a caster unleash something equivalent to a telekinetic attack?
- Since magnetism is easy enough to generate and then amplify, that is a possibility but I would like something that doesn’t care if the object is magnetic and that can affect humans even if only indirectly.
Some more quick rules about my magic system because they may be important to answers.
- It’s impossible to manipulate atoms/energies within another person’s aura (3-5 inches from their skin).
- It’s easier to amplify energies than suppress them.
- to increase a magnet’s power, the energy comes from the caster and to comply with that ‘for every reaction and equal and opposite reaction’ law, the reaction is in the cost of the spell on the caster.
- To suppress an energy still takes something from the caster but there is the addition that, they have to do something with that energy being suppressed – it cannot go back into the caster for later use.
- Atoms can be moved around at relatively little cost but to cause any sort of chemical reaction requires the same energy that would be otherwise required to catalyze it.
- Energies like electricity are easier/cheaper to manipulate than more fundamental forces (gravity, the strong force, etc).
- If there are any other rules that needs to be known ask, I have lots.
EDIT; the aura is an extension of the human will (unconscious and out of control) and as such all the atoms and energies in that field are always being touched by a person's will and can't be overridden by another person's. It's not a function of any other rule (like suppressing energy being harder than amplifying it).