Highly related to Maggots at a party... How would alien races dine together? but hopefully not duplicate.
I am designing my own Starfleet. I want it to be original, but I know that if I want to avoid all racial and cultural misunderstanding, it will look a lot like usual Star-Trek.
Imagine, you have universe as diverse as you can imagine. And these races, humans included, want to have joint operation star ship. So far I came up with these ideas:
- Starfleet is purely scientific operation.
- All members on board go through racial diversity training and are prepared to deal with alien races
- Shifts on board are organized in a way that races who feel really "alien" to each other will meet as little as possible (example: Humans have "day" shifts while insectoids have "night" shift, so humans can eat their lunch without looking at insectoids eating their maggots)
- Speaking of which, there is definitely more than one mess hall on the ship. So far thinking about at least two mess halls, so you can eat your food in peace.
- Religion is contained to personal quarters, all members on board agree on purely atheistic manners.
But the last point gives me real head aches. For next parts I will use human religions only.
Even if some humans feel atheist, they still do celebrate religion-based holidays, like Christmas.
Moreover, humans tend to celebrate these holidays in groups and most of them generally agree that celebrating these holidays together is what brings real "spirit" to these holidays.
Also, take for granted, that religious
people crew-members will be on board. So the question is:
Should I design one room purposed just for religious intentions on my starship?
- Building spaceship is hard
- Bigger spaceship requires more fuel
- Fuel is hard to get
- Replicators do not exist in my universe
- Holodecks are not a thing, not invented in my universe
- Faster than light travel is a thing, for scope of this question assume that "works perfectly"
- Majority of crew members on the ship will worship some religion
- Given starship will be "in the wild" for at least three human years. Some stops are granted, but there can be more than two months without possibility to leave the ship