In a short story I'm writing, the protagonist is running late to work and, as such, is having to eat breakfast on the way there.
Unfortunately, the city is currently under siege by an opposing state, and raids are frequent in the city.
Using only a slice of toast, how could an armed, modern soldier be fought off?
You can do whatever you want with the toast, including changing the level to which it's toasted, but it must remain a slice of bread.
Edit: I apologise for the vagueness, I'm new to posting here.
I'll clear some things up:
- Assume that this encounter takes place on the present day. There are no fantasy elements available, just the skills of an office worker and a slice of toast.
It can be assumed that the enemy soldier is armed with modern, conventional equipment, including but not limited to:
- An assault or battle rifle such as an M16 or M14.
- A bulletproof / Kevlar vest
- A bayonet or tactical knife
The enemy is ignoring any laws that may incur war crime charges.
The enemy is not at all enhanced using drugs, but has undertaken army training.
The protagonist lacks any training, but really doesn't want to be late for work.
- The toast is merely a slice of bread that's been put in a toaster. It's makeup is that of cooked bread and can't be changed.
- No outside intervention will be provided on either side, the fight is essentially isolated from the rest of the world
The aim is for the protagonist to incapacitate the enemy; anything more is fine, but they shouldn't be able to continue fighting.