This world is so ridiculous that it's very existence seemed hard to justify without being 100% subjective. I struggled for a while with a premise to root the story in something. And I have to say, I'm happy with it now, so without further ado, here it is:
My world follows a catastrophic world war that killed off 80% of the world's population and redefined the geopolitical landscape. A powerful, mind-altering drug was used all over the world to boost endurance, concentration and reduce the need for sleep. Everyone used it from soldiers, militia and guerrilla groups to the generals and all the head honchos. Unfortunately, moderate mental disorders were an invariable side-effect. It proved not to be an utterly crippling disorder in most cases, but rather predisposed people to extreme risk-taking and poor judgement. And yes, the course of history took an absurd turn:
As the world leaders grew weary of the complicated logistics of supplying the small disparate pockets of fighters that yet live and fight on across the world, an international summit was held. Despite the fact that the world leaders all had mental disorders, they managed to agree on something: All of the world powers had agreed to disarm their entire arsenals including navy fleets, air planes and tanks. An estimated 15% of the world's military didn't get the memo as they were off-grid, in deep reconnaissance or other-wise unreachable. They were to be informed later, and now the deed is done. 85% of the world's military was destroyed or disarmed. But the peace dove's were nowhere to be seen...
The world leaders spoke:"Enough is enough. Now, we're going to fight like men." Lo, it was not the doves of peace but the eagles of battle that soared up, latched talons and fought gloriously in the sky for all to see. This was the omen for what was to come. Instead of long-drawn out attrition, a Presidential Death-Match was set in motion. It was hand-to-hand combat; no weapons of any sort, and it was fought to the death. Some of the world leaders may be too demented to realize what they signed up for, but they fought nonetheless.
Question: How can the winner(s) of the Presidential Death-Match stake their claim to the spoils of war?
The most glaring problem with staking their claim is the fact they have just put themselves at the losing end of the arms race. With all of their national arsenals long gone, they can only strut into town bare-chest and bare-fist. Meanwhile, where the fighting rages on, the 15% of the armed military could shoot them down the "sissy" way. The world leaders seem to be thinking on a different wave-length, I'm not sure it's possible for them to stake any claim at all.
- For clarity, the 85% of unarmed troops will be referred to as the "Unarmed Military" and the 15% of armed troops will be referred to as the "Armed Military"
- mental disorder is permanent, makes people prone to high-risk taking behavior and overall poor judgement. Not outright debilitating though
- Spoils of war includes: natural resources, territorial claims, ect
- The Unarmed Military whose president lost in the Death Match are good sports and will not stand in the way of the victorious Presidents staking their claims. Though I do not specify whether they are obligated to actively help their conquerors in conquering them. I will leave this fairly open.
- The 15% Armed Military who did not witness the valiant performance of the Death Match Presidents should be considered dangerous
- The presidents who lost the Death Match are dead
- Answers can employ any number of tactics such as: winning hearts and minds, warfare designed for fighting a superior force (bare-fist to fully armed), ect