Santa has to start getting ready for Christmas 2018, and that means he needs a budget.
Now, you might assume that this will require billions of dollars. But that assumes that every child is either on the nice list or the naughty list. In reality, usually only two or three children make the nice list, and a dozen or so make the naughty list. Delivering to all the children would be insane, and also inane, given how mediocre most children are. For the purposes of this question, we will only focus one delivering to one child.
- The sleigh and reindeer are as efficient (in terms of chemical energy) and fast as a jet, but are fueled with reindeer food instead of petroluem.
- We'll assume the child lives at the equator.
- Santa maintains a base at the North Pole. Usually only ten people (including elves) are at this base at a time, as well as the sleigh and nine reindeer.
- Santa's workshop is also stationed at the base, and requires resources similar to a research laboratory to maintain (like these).
- It only takes about 72 elf-hours of labor to make a present (the child will get one present). The raw materials are basically worthless, but the end product is a powerful magical artifact. Magical elf labor normally has similar costs to that of an attorney, but they charge Santa only a tenth of the price for Christmas related services.
Given these requirements, what would be the total costs to deliver to this one child?