Let's assume that humans can now run 40 mph and the human body can handle it. I know and understand that this is not feasible, but let's just play pretend. Naturally people would have all kinds of fun, but as we all know most people are wild, panicky idiots. I imagine that there would be millions of people who have accidents such as:
- Head on (other head) collision
- Not stopping in time for actual traffic
- Running into walls
Obviously this is a problem, as it's not a car but an ability the government can't just take it away. So, what is the cheapest solution for keeping people alive in this scenario?
Okay, so this question caused a lot of problems (and has attracted a few people new to worldbuilding) as I have not put enough detail to fully answer it.
- The biggest problem is the whole "humans would evolve to counteract this" argument. What I meant is what if humans suddenly gained this ability.
- To White Fang's question; lets assume that a fit human can keep up this speed for around an hour before they need a break.
- To Aarthew III's question; as they now have this new ability their reflexes would be the same.
- While I do agree with Twelfth, running to and from places would be more common, that is not the point of this question.
Hopefully this has cleared some confusion.