So in today's world, you have a bunch of people that many people have heard about. People that, if you mention their name, only a few people you know will go "who?". To name a few categories:
- High-ranking government officials, like prime ministers or presidents of developed countries (Cameron, Bush, Tusk);
- Criminals with highly publicized criminal actions, like serial killers, skilled con artists or master thieves (Jack the Ripper, Madoff, Jesse James);
- People with a certain talent for creativity or something else, like artists, scientists or athletes (Picasso, Einstein, Bolt);
- People who had a historical impact, like explorers, great military leaders, people who donated a lot of money to charity (Magellan, Eisenhower, Gates);
- People who have run a very successfully company (Jobs, Page, Branson) and became rich through it;
However, is it possible for a person to become notable on a national or even global scale without anyone knowing the reason they're notable?
The situation I'm trying to create is that the story has a notable person in the current time, but noone can adequately explain why they are notable. Trying to figure out what that person did is a subplot of the story.